Friday, July 16, 2010
Mascarpone Chocolate Toffee Bars
Let me first start out by saying, Yum.
This was my first recipe ever using Mascarpone cheese. I had no idea the stuff even existed before! After I bought it, I was surprised to see that it tasted more like butter than cheese.
The Toffee Bars were super easy to make and REALLY good. I will definitely be making them again.
For this recipe, you will need:
1 lb. of store bought sugar cookie dough (this makes your life a lot easier!)
2 (1.4 ounces) chocolate-toffee candy bars, chopped and divided (recommended: Heath bar)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 cup (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (watch the almonds when you toast them - I burnt mine the first time!)
1. Preheat the oven 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. Lay a piece of parchment paper down and allow excess paper to overhang the sides. Spray parchment paper lightly with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl combine cookie dough, half of the toffee bar candy pieces and vanilla extract. Using damp fingers, gently press dough into prepared pan. Using a fork prick the dough all over. Bake 12 to 14 minutes until the crust is lightly browned. Cool for 15 minutes.
3. Place chocolate chips and vegetable oil in a medium bowl. Place bowl over pan of simmering water and stir until chocolate has melted. Cool the chocolate mixture for ten minutes. Whisk in mascarpone cheese until smooth.
4. Using a spatula, spread chocolate mixture over cooled crust. Sprinkle remaining toffee pieces and sliced almonds over chocolate mixture. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until the chocolate layer is firm.
5. Peel off the parchment paper and cut into small squares. Serve at room temperature and enjoy!
**Toast the almonds at 350 degrees F for a few minutes - depending on your oven. (I only toasted mine for three minutes (until they are lightly browned).
This recipe is another Giada DeLaurentiis recipe.