Saturday, June 26, 2010

Crispy Parmesan Biscuits - My first of many Giada Recipes



I think it is time to let you guys know that I love Giada De Laurentiis. I watch her show religiously, but I have never made one of her recipes - until now. It definitely was a perfect recipe, just as I imagined.

I brought my boyfriend (his name is Joe, by the way) lunch, while he was at work. He loves smoked salmon (he is from Finland, by the way) so when I saw Giada make the Crispy Parmesan biscuits with smoked salmon, lemon butter, and baby arugula, I knew I had to make the recipe for him.

Ingredients:

1.5 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into cubes
2 cups Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup lemon butter (recipe follows below)
3 cups baby arugula
10 ounces smoked salmon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the butter. Using fingertips or a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles course meal.

Stir in the Parmesan and green onions. Add the buttermilk and olive oil. Stir until the mixture forms a dough. Drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet in 12 equal-sized pieces.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until golden. Cool biscuits for ten minutes then transfer to rack to cool completely.

Slice each biscuit in half (I found this part to be the most challenging part of the recpe! Be gentle!) and spread bottom half with 1 teaspoon of lemon butter. Add some arugula leaves and place a small slice of smoked salmon on top. Add the top half of the biscuit and serve.

Yield: 12 Biscuits

Lemon Butter Recipe:

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 lemon, zested

In a small bowl, mash the butter and lemon zest together using a fork. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Yield: 1/2 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment