Monday, May 17, 2010
Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
My boyfriend and I are big fans of chocolate and banana flavors rolled into one. So, I made chocolate banana bread that was out of this world and brought it to him as a surprise (with the turkey sandwich from below)!
You will need:
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature,
plus more for preparing loaf pans
All-purpose flour for preparing loaf pans
3 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 t baking soda
4 t baking powder
1/4 t kosher salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups mashed ripe bananas
2/3 cup sour cream
2 cups of semisweet chocolate chunks or morsels (It isn't chocolate chunk bread without a LOT of chocolate chunks! original recipe = 1 cup)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter two 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pans and then dust the pans with all-purpose flour, tapping out the excess.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using the electric mixer set on medium speed, cream together the 3/4 cup butter and sugar until light yellow and creamy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the bananas and sour cream. Beat until incorporated. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, beating after each addition just until the flour disappears.
5. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate the pans 180 degrees. Continue to bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 2 loaves
Here I am - mixing the batter!
I found this recipe from Nordstrom Friend's and Family Cookbook.